Windows 10 Solitaire: How to Play Classic XP Solitaire in Windows 10?
We all loved playing the classic Solitaire game in our childhood. However, as the Windows operating system evolved, almost all of us got distracted with the cool new features that it offered. However, still, many of us miss playing that old minesweeper, pinball and especially Solitaire instead of playing high-end games.
The old version of Solitaire is gone and was made for Windows XP only. However, that does not mean that you won’t be able to play it on your Windows 10 desktop. Also, the better and more polished version of the game is available in Windows 8 and Windows 10’s App store. Yes, it is better, smooth and brings back the same old excitement to inside you. However, there is one big problem with it. Solitaire is available for free on Xbox store, but it comes with advertisements. In case you wish to get rid of it, you will have to pay a yearly subscription of around $10.
However, you need not worry about it, as we are going to explain you both the ways in which you can download and enjoy the latest as well as the old classic Solitaire on your Windows 10 laptop or PC.
How to Play Classic XP Solitaire in Windows 10?
For launching the new Solitaire, you don’t have to do anything. The game comes preinstalled on your machine and you can start it easily from the Start menu. All you have to do is:
1. Open Start Menu
2. Search for “Microsoft Solitaire Collection”
3. Click the icon with cards appearing on the search results
That is all. You will be able to run the game directly from there.
In case the search result does not show anything, it is possible that you might have uninstalled it by mistake. But there is nothing to panic, as you can easily download the latest version of Microsoft Solitaire from Windows Store.
With the arrival of Windows 10, Microsoft launched the Solitaire Collection app in the Windows app store. It’s not because they are offering any upgrade, but along with that, the new game shows you ads as well as a full-screen videos that helps them in making money.
The company also gives you an option to get rid of the annoying ads by paying a subscription fee of either $1.5 per month or $10 per year. This tag is for the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection Premium Edition”. Also, it should not come as a surprise as we saw similar treatment with the weather app in Windows 8. Most of the widgets including News, Sports, etc. features ads that were initially not there in Windows 7 or XP.
But if you do not want to pay any subscription money to play the new Solitaire game and wish to enjoy the classic version of your current OS, given below are two methods following which you can achieve that:
Download Classic XP Solitaire from the Windows 7 Games Archive
It is one of the easiest methods to get old classic Solitaire as well as other favorite games like Hearts, Chess, FreeCell, Mahjong etc. for your Windows 10. All you need to do is:
1. Click on the link that has been provided below and downloads the Windows 7 game archive installer.
2. Follow the installation setup and pick Solitaire and the other classic old games that you wish to install on your PC and finish the installation.
After the installation wizard is complete, you will be able to find Solitaire in the Games folder in the Start menu.
Download Classic XP Solitaire for Windows 10 by Hacking
In this method, we are going to use some modding technique in order to extract the original Windows Classic XP Solitaire game from Windows 7 and then try to play it in Windows 10 OS. However, in this process you will require a Window 7 PC, a Windows 10 PC as well as a USB drive to transfer the files between them.
1. Now, open your Windows 7 desktop or PC and go to “C:\Program Files\”.
2. There you are going to find a folder named “Microsoft Games”. You need to copy that entire folder in your USB drive.
3. Now, navigate to “C:\Windows\System32\” folder and search for “CardGames.dll”. Copy the file to your USB drive as well.
4. Now disconnect your USB drive from Windows 7 PC and reconnect it to Windows 10 PC.
5. Now copy the entire folder in the USB drive to “C:\Program Files\” in your Windows 10 PC. In addition to that, you also need to copy and paste the “CardGames.dll” file to all the game folder which you wish to play including Solitaire.
6. Now, you might not know but these games check for the Windows OS version automatically before launching. And this is the reason why we need a hex editor to edit the “Solitaire.exe.” file.
7. You can get HxD, which is one of the most popular and easy to use hex editor available for free. Now, right click on the “Solitaire.exe” files and then select the option “open with”.
8. The exe file will open in the HxD hex editor and there you need to search for a line saying “7D 04 83 65 FC 00 33 C0 83 7D FC 01 0F 94 C0” and change the “7D” to “EB”.
9. Now save the exe file and run it by double-clicking on it.
That is all, you can not enjoy the old classic XP Solitaire on Windows 10 or Windows 8 OS without any ads or breaks.